Monday, November 08, 2004

Day Two

Another sunny day in the city. I went grocery shopping and discovered that you should never buy more than two large beverage items (i.e., >= 1 gal.) if you have to walk more than 2 blocks. Four plastic bags, 4.5 blocks, and 10 sore fingers later, I made it safely home with some "real" food (= not_pizza).

I did my first load of laundry. At five bucks a load (plus the $3 origination fee to get a laundry pay card that enables you to pay the outrageous $5 fee), I am going to do my best to sweat less. Although that will be difficult to do when riding a crowded subway, as I found out on my way back from downtown on the C train. :)

That's right--the SUBWAY! I did it--I actually rode the subway all by myself! (After shelling out $70 for an unlimited use 30-day pass, which is less than I used to spend on gas.) Hmmm, wait a second...I'm beginning to see a pattern here: spend money, spend money, spend money...and when you're done with that: spend more money. Ok, I think I've got it.

How convenient--just outside the front door of my apartment building is the subway entrance for the C & E trains to downtown. It took me all of 20 minutes to get from home to the financial district. I do love public transportation. It's relatively stress-free once you figure out how to do it!

Wow. I got off the train and immediately realized I was disoriented. With all the tall buildings, it's hard to see where the sun is in the sky. Seriously. For once, I couldn't tell east from west from north from south--not for the life of me! Luckily I had my Manhattan Streetwise map (highly recommended) in my pocket. I started walking down John Street, and two blocks later I realized I was going away from WTC instead of toward it. I turned around and headed east--I was just a few blocks from Ground Zero.

The trip to the World Trade Center site was one I'd anticipated (and sort of silently dreaded). My mood was somber from the time I left home, although I admit that the experience was even more emotional than I'd thought. There were a lot of people there--many speaking foreign languages--and all brandishing cameras of some sort. A lot of New York's finest were gathered in small groups, too, canine corps included. Despite the throng of site-seers chattering amongst themselves and rambling across the wide sidewalk, it seemed eerily quiet and lonely.

A homeless man with a long gray beard sat on the sidewalk with his back to the fence, playing "Amazing Grace" on the flute (or recorder?). I stood not far from him looking at "the cross" and the huge sunlit vacuum that was once the World Trade towers. And I relived that horrendous, unforgettable day in my mind. The horror, the terror, the senseless loss of innocent life, the shock and disbelief. It was tough. I gave up on trying to hold back my tears.

It took about ten minutes to compose myself. The only thing I can say about that experience now is that we should never forget those who died that day, and we must stay steadfast in our determination to maintain our God-given right to freedom.

I'm glad I went.

Later, in an email conversation I was having with my boss, I discovered that he'd lost three loved ones in the tragedy--one of whom was on one of the planes. And I was reminded that my sister-in-law lost six or seven friends from a previous job. I considered myself lucky. And grateful for this country and its great people...what truly is America the beautiful.

I don't care what you say about New Yorkers, but I like 'em. I have yet to meet a grumpy person here. Every subway ride earns me a new friend. I love NY!

I think I'll watch "The Godfather." Good night!

No comments: