Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Day Three in NYC

Today I ended up working all day--isn't that what vacation is for? When I wasn't doing work-work, I was doing relocation work....not unlike how I spent the eight weeks prior to my arrival in the Big Apple. Can you say S-T-R-E-S-S?

The movers were 3.5 hours late. Once again, the relocation team can't get it right on the first try. That's OK. I stayed busy. Now I can start wearing different clothes. So I have my "office" set up (which consists of a square dining room table).

And Pablo the nice facilites guy arrived early with my DVD player and big thick down mattress pad to soften up my rock-hard bed. The service in this place is excellent! "Corporate housing" sounds so much like it should look and feel like "base housing"--not even close! I feel so spoiled. But I also deserve it, dammit. I've worked hard for it.

One more day of vacation. Then it's off to work! Funny...I have to spend my first day of work in New Jersey! Not what I had in mind at all. :)

Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow, November 11 is Veterans Day and no doubt NYC will have an appropriate recognition for the day. It is also a Federal Holiday, so don't expect to get any mail.

Saw a heart-rending color picture this morning in the Tampa (Fla.) Tribune. It showed a soldier covered with blood, arm limply hanging, on a wheeled stretcher. A corpsman was on top of him trying (un-sucessfully said the caption) to keep him alive. It brought tears to my eyes.

Can you imagine what shock and emotions this picture might bring to that soldier's loved ones?

This paper does not print photos of blood-soaked car accident victims so why should they print a picture like that? What was their objective?