Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sucker for Cute Kitties

I'm a sucker for cat videos (like this one, sent to me by my old Microsoft boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rooyt3ptNco&feature=email). I can't help myself. Even my cat, Baby, is spoiled beyond belief. She basically gets whatever she wants around here.

For example, the longer I stay unemployed, the earlier she gets her dinner. I adopted Baby just three weeks after arriving at my job on Wall Street in late 2007. In those days I got home from work anywhere from 6:00PM to 8:00PM.

So Baby generally got her dinner treat (a heaping spoonful of healthy, natural Innova canned food) between 6 and 7PM. She basically has her dried food available to her on a 24x7 basis. But there's something special about the canned food that she loves. This isn't about hunger.

After I became unemployed in September, I was home job-hunting all day every day (for the most part). So I was able to feed Baby her canned food no later than 6:00 every night. But she took advantage of her new-found fortune of having her caretaker at home all day. If it was getting close to 6PM, she'd let me know. She'd meow then sit and stare at me. Or, she'd follow me every time I got up to go in the kitchen, sitting on the floor looking up at me with those big eyes.

Soon, she was letting me know by 5PM. Her irresistible charms go the best of me, so I fed her at 5:00. That's not unreasonable.

But within a couple months it was 4PM. I told her, "Baby, this is getting ridiculous. I'll feed you now, but don't expect to eat this early again."

It's five months later now; today she ate her dinner at 3:00PM. Sigh.

No comments: