Friday, June 06, 2008

Two Days with New Kitty

June 6, 2008

I haven't named Kitty 4.0 yet, so I'll just call her New Kitty for now. The shelter always doles out a name, and this one got "LadyBug," but I'm not so sure it fits her.

As of about 24 hours ago, the tables were turned. Baby was no longer as nonchalant as she'd been the first 24 hours of having a new cat living in her territory. She took to chasing down New Kitty at every sight of her. Poor New Kitty would run and hide behind the shoes in the closet, or dash under the bed.

So it's been like that at every meeting between the two girls now. Hissing, growling, and running. But no biting. This is good. But each time, I felt sorry for the poor New Kitty being terrorized by my little Mean Girl, so I'd coax her away from the scene of her crime.

The funny thing is, I don't think I really needed to intervene. Once Baby catches up to New Kitty, as I noticed tonight, she has no idea what to do. She just stops short. Silly girl. She's all bark and no bite. As I watched, I noticed that Baby chases New Kitty into a corner, stops, gets bored, turns around, and saunters away.

So no more interventions. I'm letting them continue with their mini-alpha kitty battle.

I'm not as worried as I was yesterday. This just might work out after all. If only I can get the new little gal to eat. She's all skin and bones (except for her fluffy tail). I know she's stressed out, and that's probably killed her appetite. But sooner or later she has got to get really hungry. Sooner or later she's bound to eat. I hope so.

No comments: