Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kitties Update

June 11, 2008

See the naughty kitty up on the kitchen counter? Hmph. She'll learn. (Which in cat language means she'll learn to jump on the kitchen counter only when I'm away.)

I'm still unsure if the kitties will work out their anxieties and get along. There's no guarantee that'll happen, so I haven't picked a name for New Kitty.

Day before yesterday, during one of the many times that Baby chased down New Kitty and cornered her, I realized that Baby is literally scaring the pee out of New Kitty. It wasn't the first time that New Kitty ran into the bathroom and crouched behind the door. When I went in to check on her I realized she'd just squirted on the bathroom rug. I felt terrible that she'd been scared enough to momentarily lose control. Then I noticed another little yellow spot on the same rug in the same area, so I knew it wasn't the first time.

That's when I became concerned. I feel sorry for New Kitty. I'm quite sure that Baby is just playing with her, because she's not attacking her. But New Kitty doesn't know that. I'm sure she thinks she's being tormented.

It's quite possible that, in time, things will get better. This could still work out. So I'm going to give them another week together and see how it goes. If New Kitty is still scared out of her you-know-what, then I'll find her another home.

And then I'll go adopt another kitty and give it another try. Baby would probably do better with a male (as I suspected all along), and with a mellow cat. New Kitty is still a baby, so she's probably a bit too rambunctious for Baby's liking.

We'll see. This might all work out, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Meanwhile, here they are after Baby chased New Kitty under a piece of furniture:


No comments: