Thursday, August 11, 2005

New York Sites


Every time you walk out onto a New York City street you enter a whole new adventure. You never know what you will see. Today, I was in a cab on the way to the client’s site when I saw a small crowd in the middle of Times Square. Microphones atop long extension rods floating above the crowd were clues that something was being taped. I commented to my co-worker - who is in town from Maryland - that whoever was being interviewed must be rather short because she was barely visible in the crowd.

Sure enough, it was the woman famously photographed 60 years ago August 14th when a sailor grabbed and kissed her in the middle of Times Square. 87-year-old Edith Shain still does not know the name of the man who kissed her that day amidst the euphoria as crowds celebrated the Allied victory in Japan.

Later, after work today, as we were walking to the subway, I was pointing to a new skyscraper at the World Trade Center when I turned to my co-worker and noticed he was looking down the sidewalk ahead of us instead. There, in front of us, was a camera crew and a scantily clad, heavily made-up woman in high-heels and a skimpy leotard/costume/feathery/thingy of some sort. All I saw was a lot of bare leg and ass. My jaw dropped open and I was like, “Whoa! Didn’t see that!” Everyone was staring at her, of course. With the provocative way women in NY dress in general, there’s always a guy nearby gawking at some woman sashaying down the sidewalk. Makes me feel so normal and middle-aged. That’s actually pretty comforting to me these days. :)

New York is an amazing city – you just never know what you are going to see. A favorite pastime of mine is walking around snapping photos. Here are some pictures from a walk I took yesterday evening.

No comments: