Friday, August 19, 2005

Free Entertainment

Last night at 6:45 I took the subway up to 110th, at the north end of Central Park, and walked the entire length of the Park back home, which was about 65 blocks. It’s the furthest north I’ve been on Manhattan. I love Central Park because every time I go there I come across something I haven’t seen before.

I was careful not to sit across from the very vocal passenger on the C train who was babbling loudly to no one in particular. You see a lot of that in New York – people talking out loud to themselves in public, oblivious to others. This guy was about three sheets to the wind and was carrying on about some woman – “She got pregnant! She din’ care bout me. Bitch,” etc. This went on all the way to 86th Street. The rest of us were looking at each other smiling at the entertainment. This guy blabbed non-stop the entire ride.

A nice-looking woman dressed in a suit got on and sat across from him at one stop. She was wearing glasses and reading something. The man honed in on her. “You’re a smart woman,” and started his tirade again. The rest of us were impressed with how well the lady tuned him out. She never once looked up at him. When the guy finally got off the train, ranting about how all women are bitches, half of us started to laugh out loud. The subway frequently offers free entertainment of this sort.

The first thing I noticed on my walk is that the north end of the park is not as well-kept as the rest of the nicely manicured landscaping in Central Park. But not long after my walk started at 7:00PM, I paused when I saw a small troupe of Shakespearean actors putting on a comedy in front of a small crowd seated in the grass. Free classical theater on the lawn!

As I continued south, it seemed like every member of the NY population was out running, biking, and roller-blading. In the hour and a half I was in the park, I passed literally thousands of exercise enthusiasts of all shapes and sizes. I remember thinking, in New York you are never alone. As I walked around the Jackie Onassis reservoir, I couldn’t help but ogle at the 5th Avenue buildings awash in melted gold cast by the setting sun behind me. What a beautiful place!

Later I came across an outdoor concert at Summerstage. The pop band was actually pretty good – turns out they are from Seattle – some group called Death Cab for Cutie.

I exited the park at the Plaza Hotel on the south end of the park. I strolled home through the city streets. There is just something about New York City at night – it’s really the best time to be in the city. The lights are spectacular. The streets are alive with people. I’d much rather be out on the sidewalks of NY than sitting home in the evening , so I walk every chance I get – when I’m not working. (Ha - I took two vacation days this week to try to get some personal business taken care of and still managed to log over 40 hours. It just never ends.)

If it wasn’t drizzly and gray tonight, I’d do what’s next on my list – which is to ride the Statten Island Ferry. Until then – here are some pictures from the park….

No comments: