Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sailors, Sailors Everywhere!

Note: Today’s blog is dedicated to my parents, Barbara and Gene, who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary today, and to all the men and women who have served our country.

It’s Fleet Week in New York City. The John F. Kennedy pulled in to pier 88 a few days ago and unleashed its 5,000 sailors and Marines in their crisp uniforms onto the streets of Manhattan.

It was a perfect day to go to the piers – sunny, breezy, and about 80 degrees. I walked down 8th Avenue, turned right on 46th Street, and walked toward the piers where I hoped to tour the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. NYPD’s finest was out in full force. I walked down to 42nd Street, which is where the police directed crowds to go in order to cross the street. As I got close to the monstrous U.S.S. Intrepid, I met a nice native New York couple who confessed this was their first visit to the Intrepid. The white-haired husband seemed almost ashamed when he told me, in his NY accent, “I’ve lived here 84 years and this is my first time over here.” When I told them I moved here from Seattle, I got the usual reaction, “Wow – that’s quite a change!” When they asked me if I like NY I told them, “I love New York – nicest people in the world.” It really is true.

We realized that we were standing at the end of a long line to board the ship, so we moved on. I wanted to tour the JFK, but the line was even longer to board the 23-story high carrier known as “Big John” to its inhabitants. I headed home.

After dinner I took a walk up 50th Street to Madison Ave., hoping to visit the Counter Spy Shop, but I had the wrong cross street, so I headed north on Madison. I stopped in at the lofty Sony building, and turned left on 59th to walk along the south side of Central Park. Lots of people out!

I talked to a nice guy and his handsome 14-year-old son. The father was pushing his 2-year-old in a stroller, and I guess he caught me peeking at the kid’s cute outfit – he was covered head to toe in bright green – rain slicker, rain boots, rain hat, and matching umbrella. His father asked me what I thought he was. “A frog?” I said. “That’s right!” We talked and walked all the way to Columbia Circle where I took a picture of little Anthony the Frog before parting company.

I ducked inside the Time Warner building just in time to miss a downpour. On display on all three floors were several familiar real sets from popular TV shows – including Central Perk and Monica’s living room from Friends, the chair and the famous foosball table from Joey’s apartment, a dress worn by Phoebe Buffay, and the Monk’s Café set from Seinfeld.

I was excited to see the metal police lockers from my favorite cop show Third Watch, along with Sully’s badge, Carlos’s paramedic uniform, and Sasha Monroe’s cop uniform. One display case held a Friends Emmy award, and others held outfits worn by Patricia Heaton and Ray Ramano on Everybody Loves Raymond.

Also on display was a pair of Carrie Bradshaw’s high-heeled shoes from Sex and the City. Man, Sarah Jessica must be short. Those heels were at least 4 inches. Just yesterday I was trying to figure out how Carrie Bradshaw was able to afford a NY apartment, Fendi handbags, designer clothes, and dozens of $400 shoes on a columnist’s salary. I guess that’s why we watch TV – to escape in such fantasy.

In any case, I had a fun day, as did millions of tourists in the city. Here are some photos. Have a good Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

No comments: