Sunday, February 20, 2005

My First Broadway Musical

On Thursday afternoon I was working at the client’s site when my fellow TAM friends Jacqui and Michael called me on the cell. They were at the TKTS booth in Times Square and wanted to know what play I wanted to see. I told them that I’d wanted to see “The Producers” ever since it came to the Paramount Theater in downtown Seattle. They said they’d see what they could do.

Later they called me back and said they'd gotten the show I wanted. Yay! (Good friends.) Michael and Jacqui were bored, and I was on my way out of the office anyway to go work from home, so we met up at my apartment. I asked if they wanted go get some dinner. That’s when Mike said, “Well, the show starts at 8:00pm.” I said, “Tonight?!” Duh, “Of course!”

Yup. Sure enough, when you buy discounted tickets at TKTS, it’s for shows on the same day only. I think I knew that – once.

I panicked – I was like, “I have too much work to do tonight!” But Michael, being the conscientious mentor that he is, forbade me from working and told me I was going out with them. Period. And I am SO glad I did. I needed a break from work, and the only way to do it was for someone to drag me out.

For fun, I suggested dinner at Bubba Gump. It’s a cutesy place in Times Square, designed for “Forrest Gump” flick fans. The place is extremely casual – with lots of props from the original movie showcased in the lobby. Even Jenny’s bohemian dress (that she wore in the Washington Monument pond) was there on the wall, encased in glass. We all ordered the same thing – a shrimp Po Boy and fries. It’s the most fried food I've eaten in a year! The servers/hostesses like to quiz customers with trivia from the movie – so if you're in a silly mood, it’s really a fun atmosphere.

After that we walked around to kill time. It was COLD and windy. Then we went to the St. James Theater on W. 44th and got in line to go in. We passed Sardi’s restaurant on the same block. I’ve wanted to go there ever since my sister told me about her trip there with her high school theater troupe. (Wow – that was almost 25 years ago. Hard to believe.)

Our seats at The Producers were awesome – front row of the mezzanine section. The stars are Richard Kind (from TV shows like “Spin City”) and Alan Ruck – whom I recognized the instant he walked on stage. “Ferris Beuller?” I said to Jacqui, and she nodded. He played Ferris’ sidekick. I love that guy! The female lead ("Ulla") put on this ridiculously funny Swedish accent. She was my favorite character - I think the entire audience adored her. Not only was she funny but boy could she sing. And dance. Wow.

It was a great show – very funny, great choreography and costumes, good acting, and just lots of fun and silliness! During the jail cell scene, Richard Kind managed to get in a sarcastic remark about Christo’s Gates exhibit in Central Park. For those who got the ad-lib comment he made, it was hilarious.

Now I’m hooked. I'm convinced there's no better therapy than a good Broadway show. At $54, this one was a bargain. I can’t wait to get out and spend some more time in the theater. I am so lucky to live a block off Broadway. Very lucky! And it’s really wonderful to have friends to go out with.

No comments: