Thursday, January 07, 2010

Another Afghanistan Deployment















My 19-year-old nephew Jason (pictured above, middle) is leaving for Afghanistan tomorrow. His mom is already over there, working as a radiologist at Camp Bastion Hospital, saving lives.

Jason is a Marine in the infantry. A machine-gunner. It's hard to believe that this day has come. Just a year and a half ago I was at his high school graduation, but I still think of him as that sweet, adorable child that he's always been. His deployment is due to last seven months.

I hope my brother Pete (pictured left) can hold his breath that long. It cannot be easy being a parent, sending your child off to war. Jason is a brave young man. And so are his parents. Your prayers are welcome, of course.

Meanwhile, his brother Matt (the red-head), just received his third Congressional nomination to the U.S. Naval Academy! What a great kid (not unlike his older brother). I hope he gets accepted at USNA. He's already been awarded some pretty fancy scholarships at other prestigious colleges, so for him it'll probably boil down to his choice. He's in a good place right now. I know his parents are proud.

No comments: