Saturday, March 14, 2009

Need a Day Off!

On Monday I started my new IT job and its associated ugly suburban bus commute (accompanied by extensive walking while carrying my mobile office and school books to and from the bus line).

By end of day Tuesday I had a severely pulled lower left back muscle, I could barely walk, and I was exhausted.

The topic of the lousy, overpriced D.C. Metro bus system here is something to be addressed later. God I miss my NY subway.

Monday and Wednesday were long days: Commute to the suburbs, walk to work, spend 8 hours at work, walk to the bus, commute by bus and train to school, attend a 2-hour class, then do the 50-to-60-minute commute home by train.

On Friday when I came home from work, I'd planned on getting caught up on my school work, but I was so tired that I went to bed at 8:30PM—I wanted to at least read for a while but I had to turn the lights out at 9:00 because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I couldn't believe it, myself.

Saturday morning came around quickly. I got up, did my weekend chores, then went to a 2-1/2-hour King Street Cats volunteer meeting.

After the meeting, I got a ride to Old Town, checked my business mail box at the UPS Store, then walked the 1-1/4 miles home from there, stopping at Whole Foods for a meal to bring home. There were more chores to do at home (including unloading part of my huge storage closet to dig out two boxes containing office iems for my job). After wrapping my dad's birthday present for shipping, I finally did some homework for the first time since last weekend.

This afternoon I was supposed to work at KSC doing adoptions for another four hours, but it was just too much. They were overly staffed, so I bowed out. Looks like I'm going to have to cut way back on my volunteer role from here on out. There's no way I'll survive doing that job, in addition to school and my full-time job. I know my limits!

And now I am ready for a day off! I've always admired people who can go to grad school and work full time. Now, I'm not quite sure how they pull it off. My mom says to just "keep slogging," so that's what I'll do. I'm so ready for my new career, but I have to wait until I finish my degree to get to the part where I finally get to do something meaningful by fighting crime.

Baby and I are watching a movie. Well, I'm watching; she's begging me to pull out the little red bug toy (also known as a laser light). I really need to get her a playmate.

No comments: