Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Did It!

Today was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Central Park. I completed the 5K run/walk in about 41 minutes. I know what you're thinking - "She's really slow!" Actually, for me that was excellent time, as I am not a runner.

I managed to run from the starting gate past the first mile marker. I kept pushing myself and almost made it to the second mile before slowing down to a walk. Just that 1.75+ miles was an amazing feat for me, being the non-runner that I am. And I was really pushing myself! Thank goodness for the volunteers along the sideline cheering us on.

This was a neat event. There were over 30,000 people there, but I started right near the front of the pack and ran right past the little stage where Judge Judy and Stephen Colbert sat. It was also pretty neat to see Cynthia Nixon in person (many people know her as Miranda from Sex & the City - I couldn't get over how long her hair is today). She was there with her mom and kids, and even she ran in the race. Both she and her mom are breast cancer survivors.

I was walking down 14th Street on my way home today, switching from the 1 train to the R (because the trains were messed up as usual on the weekend), when a woman walking toward me turned as she passed me and said with a smile, "Great job at the race today!" I guess I didn't realize until then just what a huge event this is.

I want to do it again next year! Thank you, everyone, for all of your donations. The support I received from friends, co-workers, and family exceeded my expectations by hundreds of dollars.

Thanks again!

No comments: