Thursday, April 06, 2006

Too Cute for Words


April 6, 2006

Martin and I have a new addition to the family. She’s a 7-year-old tabby cat from the Howard County Animal Control shelter. She was given to an 11-year-boy many years ago. That boy grew up, the parents divorced, the 19-year-old young man went to live with his father, and his dad said “No” to keeping the cat. Hence, she was dropped off at the shelter on 3/31/06. For a long time I’ve thought about getting a companion for Martin. I met this new kitty on Monday and brought her home this afternoon. She didn’t have a name.

She seemed a tad aloof when we met. A very pretty, thin girl with long hair, green eyes, and feathery feet, she immediately made me think that she should be pussy-footing down Madison Avenue. Hence, Martin and I will call her Little Miss Madison.

I had to sneak her in the house quickly before Martin could figure out what was going on. I ran her up to a third-floor bedroom, and Martin’s been hanging outside her door ever since. When you introduce a new cat to a multi-cat home, you have to do it very slowly. That means that Madison will have to stay in her own room (the guest bedroom) for several days while both cats get used to each other's smells.

Most cats take one to six months to adapt to a new home. I remember when Tom gave me Martin in late 2003, he spent most of the first several months sleeping on a comforter folded up in the bedroom closet. It was a long time before he’d let me pick him up or scratch his ears.

Madison is quite different in that respect. She purrs like crazy every time I go in her room, and she rubs up against my legs. She loves to be combed. She reaches up and rubs her face against mine. So precious! She’s a very sweet girl. I’m sure Martin will be a great friend to her. Tom (Martin's previous owner) told me that Martin lived with his sister his first 8 years, before both were given up for adoption and (unfortunately) separated. That was when Tom adopted Martin in 2000. So I think he’ll get along just fine with Madison.

I'm finally done unpacking all the boxes from our 3/3/06 move. Now I just need to finish furnishing the new townhouse and then shell out about $15K for a deck, patio, and fence. After that, the only big project is window blinds. Then I'll be done! I'm ready to be done moving.... I think Martin is too. He seems to have adjusted well and is already losing weight from running around and going up and down the stairs. That's my boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's adorable! I'm sure Martin will be smitten with her when they meet. She's lucky to have a good new home!

Anonymous said...

Susie is becoming a cat lady!...

;-)