Sunday, November 06, 2005

My First Year in New York


Today is November 6, 2005. I moved to New York City a year ago today. I've lived in two different apart-ments in midtown (both at 50th and 8th) and have learned how to navigate the subway system. I know where to get the best slice of pizza. I know my way around Central Park and where most the bargain-basement shops are. I've managed to see two Broadway shows while working seven days a week most of the year. I've survived life without an icemaker and washer/dryer at home. I've driven a car successfully (once) in the city without hitting a pedestrian. I've become accustomed to street noise and filthy sidewalks. And I've witnessed every type of subway entertainment imaginable - from Gospel singing ("You're on the right train - this is the Gospel train!") to rap-dancing in the aisles.

And somewhere along the way I fell in love with the Big Apple. Who'd a thunk it? Not me! I have too many things left unchecked on my to-do list to leave any time soon. I never thought I'd feel this way. But you couldn't pull me away from this city right now. There's just too much more to explore here - and too many Broadway shows I want to see.

So I've decided to stay a little while longer instead of moving to a more affordable area of the country when my lease is up in January. But I'm not going to throw away money on rent another year. Being underpaid doesn't help, but for the amount I'm paying in rent I can buy a one-bedroom co-op or condo in Brooklyn. So that's where I'm headed.

Buying real estate in NYC is a whole other beast. I've bought and sold five homes in my lifetime, but never have I experienced a buying process as bizarre and cut-throat as New York's. I'll save that story for another blog - after the contracts are signed on my future loft condominium. (Shhhh. . . I got lucky finding a place, and I don't want to jinx it! I'll fill you in when the papers are signed.)

For now I need to figure out how to celebrate my one-year anniversary. Martin is celebrating by snoozing at my feet - hogging the ottoman (as usual). Hmmmm. . . do we go downstairs and plop down six bucks at Food Emporium on a gallon of Edy's Light Chocolate Fudge Chunk? Or make a big bowl of popcorn?

Either way, we're going to enjoy the evening and be grateful that we got a chance to live in New York!

No comments: