Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Celebrity Sighting #2

After a nice short 9-hour work day (yay!), I decided to go walking in Central Park instead of working out in the gym in my apartment building. It was supposed to be another miserable 95-degree day today, but it was surprisingly cooler than. I had fully prepared myself to melt on the subway platform this morning but was pleasantly surprised at the welcome reprieve from the sweltering temperatures of late.

Anyway, I never quite made it past Columbia Circle on my way to Central Park tonight.

I got drawn into an art and framing gallery, and spent quite some time poring over several NY cityscapes - some in water color and others in lithograph. I was picking out two different framed prints to buy – keepsakes to remind me of my stay here - and was discussing pricing and framing with the two nice middle eastern men working in the shop. But there was a bit of a language gap that created some confusion, and by the time I’d decided on my purchase and the frames I wanted, I realized that the print I wanted really didn’t come in the size I’d asked for. Anyway, I started over picking out two prints and working these two guys for their best deal.

Ah but you can get a good deal at this gallery. “You pay cash?” one of them asked me. I said “No, credit card.” (Tip: Never wander the city without credit card, subway pass, and $20 cash. I carry these even when I go out just walking for exercise. I also carry a camera.) So he explained the deal of the day to me: “You pay cash, no taxes.” At first I didn’t catch “taxes.” He clarified: “Cash – no taxes.”

“Ahhhh,” I nodded. Right, OK, and that’s about as illegal as selling knock-off Louis Vuitton purses on Canal. I told them I’d think about it and come back tomorrow. The price was just too high. I left with a beautiful $7 set of panoramic post cards and my dignity.

I was walking around Columbus circle and started to pass a cameraman who was filming an interview right in front of the Time-Warner building. I didn’t recognize the woman being interviewed so I kept walking. But my curiosity got the most of me, and I turned around and went back to join the tiny crowd watching this interview.

That’s when I realized that the famous person was the interveiwer, not the interviewee. I recognized him. I recognized his voice immediately – but I had to study his face to make sure it was who I thought it was. He looked older and shorter than he should have (in my mind). Of all of us standing there, though, none of us could remember the guy’s name – we all asked each another, "What's his name?" like it was on the tip of our tongues. He’s one of those actors who plays bit parts and appears a lot on TV and on film. I finally asked a man standing close by (who turned out to be a member of the actor’s entourage).

It was Jay Thomas. “Ah! That's it!” I snapped my fingers as if I'd known all along.

The name meant nothing to me. But I knew I’d seen this guy on a thousand shows. And I knew I liked him. (See imdb.com/name/nm0858988/.) So I snapped a few photos.

When I entered Daffy’s on 57th Street after that, I knew my walk just wasn’t going to happen tonight. Time to shop! I love Daffy’s – clothing bargains for millionaires. I got a $79 Nine West purse for just $35.99, among other summer clothing items.

I guess it’s not a good thing to live within walking distance of so many clothing stores. I keep finding myself wandering in. And spending! Shopping in New York is just so much fun. I’ve really got it good here.

No comments: